Career Advisory Services
The Career Advisory Services (CAS) at XIM University’s School of Human Settlements plays a vital role in overseeing all placement-related operations. Along with managing industry relations for the School of Human Settlements, the CAS team acts as a bridge between the students and the industry. Their core competencies include fostering corporate partnerships, facilitating corporate communications, marketing the school to industry stakeholders and coordinating the annual placement process for the final year students of the two programs MBA-Urban Management & Governance and Master in Urban and Regional Planning. They are also responsible for organizing summer internship placements for first-year students. To facilitate student-industry engagement, the CAS team arranges Leadership Talks, Summits and Conclaves, thereby promoting Industrial Institutional Cooperation. The team consists of both faculty members and student representatives.
About School of Human Settlements
The School of Human Settlements is committed to advancing and sharing knowledge on creating sustainable, inclusive and liveable cities and communities. It provides two distinctive and innovative programs, namely the MBA in Urban Management & Governance and the Master in Urban & Regional Planning. These programs concentrate on developing expertise in planning and management within public systems, equipping professionals to tackle the challenges of urban and regional development in dynamic environments. Emphasizing practical learning, the programs involve collaborative modules with faculty members and organizations engaged in policy development, impact evaluation and technical support across government, corporate and civil society sectors.
XUBERANCE (Final Placement)
The placement process for the School of Human Settlements at XIM University, Bhubaneswar witnessed a diverse range of sectors, including urban infrastructure, government advisory, urban planning, and real estate. This year, four companies participated in the process, offering opportunities in these sectors and more. The MBA-Urban Management & Governance program focuses on developing professionals with strong management and organizational skills, complemented by a comprehensive understanding of the urban landscape. Graduates not only possess knowledge of intelligent and smart urban technologies but also possess the ability to strategically envision the direction of cities, considering their local, regional and global contexts. The Master in Urban & Regional Planning (MURP) program, aligning with current national and international perspectives on urban & regional planning and development equips students with a deep understanding of the intricate dynamics of urban systems and processes, along with practical skills for effective urban and regional planning.
In addition to the notable recruiters within XIM University’s School of Human Settlements program, such as Capital Region Urban Transport (CRUT), Quantum Leap Studio, State Transport Authority, and Sarda Group, several new companies have shown keen interest in hiring graduates from the program. Among the new recruiters are Fortress Infracon, Grant Thornton, the Government of Odisha, and others. This growing interest from a diverse range of companies reflects the program’s strong reputation and the valuable skills and knowledge it imparts to students.
The Summer Internship Program serves as a crucial component for both courses, effectively bridging the gap between academic knowledge and the practical business world. Students participating in this program engage in an immersive 8-week internship at esteemed companies, where they are encouraged to tackle time-bound, multidisciplinary projects with clear goals. This hands-on experience allows students to gain comprehensive insights into various aspects of the organizations and their operations, thereby enhancing their analytical and decision-making capabilities. By participating in the Summer Internship Program, students develop essential skills and acquire the readiness for future management roles. This year, the program attracted renowned recruiters, including Cushman and Wakefield, Colliers, Sarda Group, Government of Odisha, Arcadis IBI Group, Quantum Leap Studio, Capital Region Urban Transport (CRUT), All India Institute of Local Self-Government (AIILSG) and numerous others, offering students exceptional opportunities to work with prestigious organizations and gain valuable industry experience.
- Social Entrepreneurship Conclave, 9th February, 2019, Bhubaneswar.
- Summer Exchange Programme at SGH Warsaw, Poland, 1st to 19th July, 2019.
- 25th Annual International Association of Jesuit Business School (IAJBS) World Forum, 19th to 23rd July, 2019 at XIM University.
- XIM University – Model United Nations 27th to 28th September, 2019, Bhubaneswar.
- Sampark, the CSR effort, 31st October to 3rd November, 2019, Bhubaneswar.
- National Organization of Students of Planning (NOSPlan) Annual Conference, 26th to 28th December, 2019, Dehradun.
- 4th Annual Research on Cities Summit organized by School of Human Settlements from 7th to 8th February, 2020.
- Conducted Workshop on Urban Informality, at National Association of Students of Architecture (NASA), Bangalore, 7th to 10th February, 2020.
- 1st International Webinar Series on “Natural Disaster Resilience for Built Infrastructure (NDRBI)” which was jointly organized by the University of Technology Sydney (UTS), Australia and the Indian Institute of Technology Madras (IITM), India during 24th – 28th August 2020
- Participation in Inter-college and Intra-college sports events.
- International Trivia Competition organized by the International Relations Committee on 8th September 2020.
- Research articles published on various prestigious platforms.
- Urban Trivia Competition in UNNOVATIONS’ organized by the School of Human Settlements on 22nd December 2020.
- 5th Annual Research on Cities Summit organized by School of Human Settlements from 10th to 12th February, 2021.
- Student got selected for the UNSSC-UNFCCC online course “The Paris Agreement on Climate Change as a Development Agenda” that was conducted from 31st May to 9th July 2021
- 6th Annual Research on Cities Summit organized by School of Human Settlements from 10th to 12th February, 2022.
- 1st Prize – Present to Represent (Showcase Pinup) organized by National Organisation of Students of Planning (NOSPlan) 2022.
- 1st Prize – Play with Colour ( Canvas Painting ) organized by National Organisation of Students of Planning (NOSPlan) 2022.
- 2nd Prize Porraiture (Photography ) organized by National Organisation of Students of Planning (NOSPlan) 2022.
- 3rd Prize – This or That ( Debate ) organized by National Organisation of Students of Planning (NOSPlan) 2022.
- 1st Prize – Parivartan (Presentation on Gender Sensitive Mobility) organized by National Organisation of Students of Planning (NOSPlan) 2023.
CAREER ADVISORY SERVICES COMMITTEE
Prof. Saveeta Mohanty
Associate Dean – Career Advisory Services Committee
Career Advisory Services Committee Officials
STUDENT TEAM MEMBERS
COORDINATOR: ABHIJIT RATH
Mail ID: firstname.lastname@example.org
|Name||Designation||Phone No||E-mail Id|
Aditya Narayan Das
Aditya Narayan Das
Industry Institution Engagement
As part of this Engagement, we offer industry exposure to students through Leadership Talks and the ARC Summit. These events provide a platform for industry leaders to share their insights and expertise with students, shedding light on the critical role of urban management in today’s world. Through engaging discussions and presentations, industry leaders highlight the significance of urban management and its implications for shaping sustainable and inclusive cities. Students gain valuable knowledge about the current landscape and future prospects of urban management, equipping them with a broader perspective and understanding of the field. These events foster a collaborative learning environment, where students can interact with experienced professionals, ask questions and explore the diverse dimensions of urban management.
SUMMER INTERNSHIP PLACEMENTS
The Summer Internship Programme forms an integral component of both the courses offered by the school of Human Settlements with an attempt to bridge the gap in student’s perception between academics and the corporate world. Under this programme, students undergo an 8-week internship at organizations where they are encouraged to take up time bound multi-disciplinary and goal-oriented assignments. During this period, the students seek to learn the various dimensions and their operations in their respective organisations. This not only enhances their analytical and decision-making abilities but with hands on experience further grooms them to be future managers.
XUBERANCE (FINAL PLACEMENT)
The placements witnessed a multitude of sectors ranging from Urban Regeneration and Renewability, Urban Waste and Water Management, Urban Mobility and E-Governance along with several others, offered by the 17 companies which participated in the process this year. The MBA – Urban Management and Governance program at XIM University, Bhubaneswar produces professionals equipped with sound management and organizational skills, and understanding of the urban domain – professionals who not only understand intelligent and smart urban technologies, but also can look beyond, and set the strategic road map for the city, by taking into consideration its local, regional and global context. School of Human Settlements has launched an innovative Planning Program, i.e., Masters in Urban and Regional Planning (MURP), in tune with prevailing national and international perspectives and approaches to urban and regional planning and development. MURP is designed to develop an understanding of the complexities of urban systems and processes, and functional knowledge and skills for urban and regional planning.
Along with the XAHS program’s prominent recruiters in XIM University such as CRUT, Honeywell, Recity Network Pvt. Ltd Several new companies showed keen interest in the batch. Some of the new recruiters were Quantum Leap Studio, SAHAAS Zero Waste, World Resources Institute, Janaagraha, TATA Trusts, Centre for Public Policy Research, and several others.
The Leadership Talks organized by SHS CAS offer a unique opportunity for burgeoning urban managers and planners to gain valuable corporate insights from esteemed industry leaders. These talks serve as a platform for students to engage with current industry trends and best practices. By sensitizing themselves to the latest developments in various fields, students can enhance their understanding and brainstorm innovative ideas. The talks facilitate a professional exchange of knowledge and foster a deeper understanding of the industry, equipping students with the necessary tools to thrive in their future careers. Overall, these talks provide a valuable platform for students to broaden their perspectives and stay informed about the ever-evolving business landscape.
Leadership Talks – 2023
February 2023: On 13th February 2023 we had the privilege to have with us Mr. Shishir Ranjan Dash, Lead Urban Habitat of Tata Steel Foundation as the esteemed speaker for the day. Mr. Shishir shared his insights on Jagga Mission.
February 2023: On 24th February 2023 we had the privilege to have with us Mr. Ananya Ghosh, Consultant of Centre for Policy Research as the esteemed speaker for the day. Mr. Ananya shared his insights on Stakeholder Management is the essence of good governance.
Leadership Talks – 2022
- January 2022: – On 19th January 2022, we had the privilege to have with us Mrs. Kanika Kalra, Asst. Vice President of Urban Mass Transit Company as the esteemed speaker for the day. Mrs. Kanika shared her insights on the Bus Rapid Transit System, Transit-Oriented Development, Electric Vehicles, and the evolution of the transport sector in India.
- February 2022: – On 19th February 2022, we had the privilege to have with us Ms. Raina Singh, Deputy Regional Director of South and West Asia, C40 Cities as the esteemed speaker for the day. Ms. Raina shared her insights on Climate change and cities: Role of Urban Planners and City Managers.
July 2022: On 31st July 2022 we had the privilege to have with us Mrs. Lipsa Satpathy, Digital Manager of Aditya Birla Group as the esteemed speaker for the day. Mrs. Lipsa shared her insights on the Urbanization, Community Participation & Digital Marketing.
August 2022: On 10th August 2022 we had the privilege to have with us Mr. Shoumyakant Joshi, National Coordinator of Water Aid India as the esteemed speaker for the day. Mr. Shoumyakant shared his insights on the Water & Waste (Solid & Liquid) Management along with their role in Government policy making.
August 2022: On 30th August 2022 we had the privilege to have with us Mrs. Aishwarya Agarwal, Senior Associate of OLA Mobility Institute as the esteemed speaker for the day. Mrs. Aishwarya shared her insights on the Urban Mobility and its Systems w.r.t. gender, space and inclusivity.
September 2022: On 20th September 2022 we had the privilege to have with us Mr. Xerxes Rao, Head of Urban Planning of Urban Management Centre as the esteemed speaker for the day. Mr. Xerxes shared his insights on the Marginalized Communities and their role in Urban Economy.
October 2022: On 20th October 2022 we had the privilege to have with us Mrs. Aparna Vijaykumar, Program Manager of World Resources Institute as the esteemed speaker for the day. Mrs. Aparna shared her insights on the Electric Vehicles and how they shape the urban space. The requirements that an urban space need to provide for this sustainable approach.
November 2022: On 02nd November 2022 we had the privilege to have with us Mr. Dhaval Sheth, Partner of Grant Thornton as the esteemed speaker for the day. Mr. Dhaval shared his insights on How educational infrastructures shape the urban space.
Leadership Talks – 2021
- January 2021:- On 9th January, 2021, we had the privilege to have with us Dr. Jawahar Surisetti, Advisor to Government as the esteemed speaker for the day. Dr. Surisetti shared his precious insights on sustainable and inclusive ways of planning smart cities.
- January 2021:- On 24th January, 2021, we had the privilege to have with us Mr. Arvind Kumar Rai, Vice President, Knight Frank, as the esteemed speaker. Mr. Rai shared his insights on Career in Real Estate Advisory and Valuations.
- February 2021:- On 13th February, 2021, we had the privilege to have with us Mr. Manikandan K P, social entrepreneur, an affordable housing expert and an evangelist for Housing For All in India, as the esteemed speaker for the day. Mr. Manikandan shared his precious insights on inclusive and sustainable housing, focusing on the difference between “real estate and REAL Housing”.
- March 2021:- On 5th March, 2021, we had the privilege to have with us Mr. Bibhas Mahapatra, Head of the Infrastructure Division at OP & HS Infra, as the esteemed speaker for the day. Mr. Mahapatra shared his precious insights on water and sanitation, focusing on Service Delivery in the Water Management Sector.
- May 2021:- On 16th May, 2021, we had the privilege to have with us Mr. Ranjit Kumar, Smart City Advisor, KPMG- Govt. Of Uttar Pradesh, as the esteemed speaker for the day. Mr. Kumar shared his precious insights on Career in Water and Waste Management.
- May 2021:- On 18th May, 2021, we had the privilege to have with us Mr. Amit Bhatt, Director of Integrated Urban Transport, WRI India, as the esteemed speaker for the day. Mr. Bhatt shared his precious insights on Role of Transport in Urban development.
- May 2021:- On 18th May 2021, we had the privilege to have with us Mr. Amit Bhatt, Director of Integrated Urban Transport, WRI India, as the esteemed speaker for the day. Mr. Bhatt shared his precious insights on the Role of Transport in Urban development.
- July 2021:- On 3rd July 2021, we had the privilege to have with us Mr. Vikash Chandra, Finance & PPP Expert, National team of Smart Cities Mission, Ministry of Housing & Urban Affairs, Government of India, as the esteemed speaker for the day. Mr. Chandra shared his precious insights on the Impact of Smart cities on Urbanization, in the Present and the Future.
- November 2021:- On 13th November 2021, we had the privilege to have with us Mr. Srikanth Viswanathan, Chief Executive Officer, Janaagraha – Centre for Citizenship and Democracy, as the esteemed speaker for the day. Mr. Srikanth shared his precious insights on System Practice for Indian Cities.
- October 2020:- On 10th October, 2020, we had the privilege to have with us Mr. Ashish Rao Ghorpade, Deputy Director, ICLEI – South Asia as the esteemed speaker. Mr. Ghorpade threw light on the PROMISE Project of ICLEI – South Asia and emphasised on the importance of community participation for sustainable urban planning.
- October 2020- On 31st October, 2020, we had the privilege to have with us Dr. Roshan Jose, Senior Manager- Project, SAVELIFE Foundation as the esteemed speaker. Dr. Jose shared his experiences of working in the domain of road safety in India.
- December 2020- On 12th December, 2020, we had the privilege to have with us Mrs. Shabnam Bassi, Associate Director – TERI and Secretary – GRIHA Council as the esteemed speaker. Mrs. Bassi shared her insights on opportunities in green buildings.
Leadership talk by Ms. Aparna Vijaykumar, Program Manager, WRI India on 20th October 2022
Leadership talk by Mr Xerxes Rao , Head Urban Planning , Urban Management Centre on 20th September 2022
Leadership talk by Mr Dhaval Sheth (Partner), Grant Thornton Bharat on 2nd November 2022
Leadership talk by Mr Sishir Ranjan Dash Lead, Urban Habitat, Tata Steel Foundation
Other than that, we also have the ARC Summit, a Flagship event for the School of Human Settlements. This is 2 day-long event where speakers from different dimensions of the urban domain shared their valuable insights. For this year the theme of ARC Summit was ‘International Conference on Sustainable Urbanism in the Global South’. The National Institute of Urban Affairs (NIUA) was our knowledge partner. Numerous students, research scholar, and professors throughout the world participated in the event and presented their papers.
The prominent speakers of the event were:
- Shri Kunal Kumar, (Joint Secretary and Mission Director – Ministry of Urban Affairs Government of India)
- Shri Hitesh Vaidya, (Director – NIUA)
- Mr. Frank D’ hondt, (Secretary General – ISOCARP)
- Dr. Eiotr Lorens, (HOD Urban Design and Regional Planning – Gdansk University of Technology Poland)
- Mr. Markus Appenzerrer, (Director – MLA+ Netherlands)
Career Advisory Services Office
Phone: +91-674-2377775 (CAS Office)
Mobile: +91-9861394422 (CAS Officer)
University Website: https://xim.edu.in/